indy-tech, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  All import and domestic car repairs and diagnostics

I have 2004 CS lancer that has an idle problem very similar

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: Hi Pearl I have 2004 CS lancer that has an idle problem very similar to that described on your website with response given by Doug 4 years ago. Problem is that car will idle very roughly when stopped and even stalls. It seems to run ok otherwise.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: I think the engine symbol comes on when car stalls but not before and yes it does stall and has done when I was coming to a stop at lights
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to fix myself if possible - have checked that airfilter was ok and that a number of hoses related to vacuum were ok. The issue did seem to start after I last checked the air filter cartridge during a basic service
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I would be willing to try the throttle body adaption fix described by Doug if that sounds like it could be same issue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 months ago.

Hi .

What i suggest you do first is clean out the throttle body, this is a very common issue where over time the throttle body gets carboned up and causes the IAC ,(Idle Control Valve) to also carbon up and cause airflow issues ..

On some lancer models you will not have a IAC, but have a full electronic controlled throttle body .

if so this should also be cleaned but with care that parts cleaner does not get sprayed on the black plastic control .

The video is a idea of what to do and maybe the same as your in the lancer

Here is a video on how to clean your TB.

Please click here

Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the response Greg - have not had time to try your suggestion just yet but will give it a go sometime this week. Are you unable to advise if 2004 CS Lancer has the IAC - what do I need to look for to find this out?John

Hi .

Think you most likely just have the throttle body without the IAC ,this is okay makes it easier to clean ..

If you do have the one with the IAC remove and clean .

Attached are two photos on how to see the difference ,

The one with two TB in the pic is with IAC .

Rgds Greg