sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Vehicle is unable to go backwards when reverse is selected,

Customer Question

Vehicle is unable to go backwards when reverse is selected , vehicle still moves forward
JA: What is the model/year of your Renault?
Customer: Year 2013 , engine is a diesel turbo
JA: What size is your engine?
Customer: Not with the vehicle at present time , just doing some research for tomorrow
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have hooked a scan tool to OBD plug ,to check for any DTCs , no codes logged
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Driver input was vehicle would not reverse at last job site , vehicle was pushed back , selected 1st gear & drove back to depot , engine revving higher than normal , that's the only information left on a piece of paper for me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Renault Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If a vehicle moves forward in reverse gear, backward in a forward gear or moves in either direction in neutral then it indicates an internal failure. Clutch issues are possible, but planetary geartrain failure is usually the cause.

Has shift linkage adjustment been checked to make sure the trans is actually being shifted into the intended gear?