Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

With experience with the lexus is200

Customer Question

Looking for someone with experience with the lexus is200
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what you are looking for on this here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi pete,i have a 1999 lexus is200 (1gfe) engine which bugun idling high a few weeks back.
The car runs great until it reaches operating temp,then its idling at 2800rpm.
I had one goose look at it and started replacing parts he thought it could be,throttle body,tps sensor.
I then got a diagnostic done and the p1349 code came up...vvti malfunction.
Vvti oil control valve works,so i assume its an issue with the can gear assembly for the vvti.
Another mechanic looked at it and says its internal wear causing oil loss to the vvti gear,i dont buy it.
Mainly because it only does it when wArm,and if i take it home once its idling high,disconnect the battery and reconnect,and everythings back to normal. Same as if i let it cool,everything returns to normal.
Im very mechanically minded but this car is killing me!
Engine coolant sensor is something im considering.
Please help
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Have you had the actual engine oil pressure tested when the engine is warm to see what the engine oil pressure is reading?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No i havnt.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

When the engine is warmed up bearings and metal engine components expand and if there is to much play in a bearing with a warm engine this lowers the engine oil pressure.You would see this as a warm engine oil pressure issue and not a cold issue since metal shrinks when cold including bearings making oil pressure properly.I have seen this allot before and usually find the cam shaft bearings or crank shaft bearings with to much play.Then as you operate the engine the computer senses a fault as it warms up over a short period of time and sets a code like this then tries to compensate with the engine idle issue in some cases.Then when you disconnect the battery and reconnect it this resets the engine computer until the vehicle has ran long enough for the engine computer to detect the fault again and set the code and cause the idle issue here.

I would have the engine oil pressure checked/testes to see for sure if this is the cause here needing corrected as this can be common.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cars done 279,000km.
Oil at pressure is getting to the oil control valve for the vvti.
Diagnostic guy just wrote "vvti malfunction in cylinder head" p1349.
I assume his diagnostic machine checked the oil pressure?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

The machine itself cannot test the pressure.The pressure has to be tested with an actual engine oil pressure test gauge that mechanically tests the pressure.I would have this done if you can to see if you can pinpoint this as an engine oil pressure issue here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thats the thing,the car can idle for an hour perfect,rev well,but as soon as i take it out its playing up. Sometimes suddenly everything will go back to normal....then a minute later its back.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I should get the oil pressure checked....
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

What liter engine is in this model here?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1gfe 2 litre dohc 6 cylinder. Mines done low kms compared to some getting around.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,unfortunately my info does not cover this engine here myself but someone else here may have more info on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete