Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

Kia cerato.. key will not turn in ignition : Park.. not sure

Customer Question

Kia cerato.. key will not turn in ignition
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park.. not sure about wheel lock
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: We have just returned to car after about 10 minutes and the key wil not turn in ignition. The car is in park with handbrake on and the manual does not mention a wheel lock
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am not a mechanic, so if it is not a simple manouevre then No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: It is a rental car, so we know little about it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a master auto tech and I am glad to help you with this.

Grab steering wheel with one hand, turn wheel in one direction while turning key with the other, try this both ways. It sounds to me like your steering wheel is locked in a position to prevent the key from turning. Try this procedure first and let me know, this happens when the wheel is turned and it locks. It will be harder to release if the vehicle is parked on an incline.

Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Dan again, hoping you are satisfied with my service.

Could you please rate the answer, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!