Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician

Just done the water pump and Serpentine belt replaced both

Customer Question

Hi there just done the water pump and Serpentine belt replaced both of them now car won't start it's 1998 vt Commodore
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes it turns over but just not firing up
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Was driving home yesterday then notice the car went dead looked under the Bonnet the bout had wrapped itself around the bottom pulley then I checked the water pump was seized so today I replaced water pump and Serpentine belt thinking it would just start up straight away but not the case I turn the key at winds over just not starting
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes trying
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just checked all the plugs around the bottom crank them off and back on don't understand why it won't stop
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your car?
Customer: No was running fine all the time right up till yesterday when that happened then like I said change the water pump Serpentine belt thought it would just start up straight away
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

If the belt was wrapped around the balancer, the crank sensor or wiring could be damaged. The sensor is at 3 o'clock as you look at the balancer, passenger side.

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

Or it could be the cam sensor wiring across the top the balancer to the timing case.

There will be code set in the PCM now.

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards