Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

Main fuse has melted and I feel like it's the alternator but

Customer Question

Hi. Main fuse has melted and I feel like it's the alternator but can't confirm 100 percent
JA: Will the battery hold a charge? Do you know the fuse number?
Customer: It's the MAIN FUSE 80amps. The battery is holding charge
JA: What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: Ford Pk ranger
JA: Got it. What model and year?
Customer: 2011 Pk
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Last night started the car, then battery warning light on dash flickered a bit while radio went off. Opened bonnet to find main fuse had melted and knew if I turn off car it would not start again so I drove home.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: When I unplug room fuse 15a i get a good reading between positive and negative (open circuit) but with it in its a poor reading like 100k ohms
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Hopefully if possible
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The best way to check this is to disconnect the alternator and then connect you new fuse with the engine running and and see if it holds. If the alternator is shorted and the cause the fuse should hold. Try this and let me know.