sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

No instrument lights when key turned on except oil light and

Customer Question

no instrument lights when key turned on except for the oil light and air bag light
JA: Have you checked the codes? Is anything interfering with the seatbelt switch?
Customer: normally it cranks and starts easily. instruments go off sometimes while driving then back on. fail to start issue has been intermittent but is now permanent. BATTERY IS GOOD BATTERY TO BODY NEG IS GOOD. NO EARTHING PROBLEMS ON MAIN CABLES. KEY FOB HAS NEW BATTERY,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jaguar Mechanic should know about your Jaguar?
Customer: 2001 x type 3.0 l in good condition but with instrument panel on off intermittent and now will not crank . lamp test does not happen when key turned on only lamp is oil and air bag
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could cause your problem and it will take some electrical testing to determine what is going on.

Have fuses been checked?
How did you determine the battery is good?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Battery can test confirms battery is ok
Battery voltage is 12.5 no load
Battery starts another car okAll fuses are okI have electrical engineering knowledge and the capabilities to testPlease tell me what the typical faults could be and detail the various fixesPrioritise on the most common fault pleaseNote. I do not Have a code checking unitRegards

What year and model is the vehicle?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2001 x type 3 litre AWD
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The instruments have been intermittently on and off for some months up till now
Fuel gauge would go to empty then back to normal
Charge light would come on and stay on till ignition switch was turned off and on again
Charge volts were always 13.8 dc regardless of the state of the instruments or charge light
Do the headlamps work?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Headlamps workAll electrics work except for instruments and will not crank so will not start

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is the pump located

The fuel pump is in the tank.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will check later today . should I be able to hear the pump running
Where can I access the connections for the pump to check that power is getting to the pump

If the pump doesn't run then we can assume there is no power and move on from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If the pump does not work and no power is going to the pump then what are the next steps
PleaseI can work things out but am looking for you to advance the process but not in small steps
Tell me what I need to check Ln the

Electrical testing has to be done one step at a time, there isn't a way to know what testing will need to be done until results from previous tests are obtained. A scan tool may be necessary to diagnose the problem; the next step from here would really be to see if the engine controller communicates. If not then it's powers and grounds would need to be tested to determine whether the failure is internal or a loss of power or ground.

If the fuel pump does run or communication is possible then testing of the starter control system will be necessary.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fuel pump operates with key on

How many terminals at the starter relay have power with the key in the crank position?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am away on vacation for 2 was and can not do any checks until I return
Thanks so far
I will contact you again soonRegardsDavid
Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Back from vacation now
Checked the start relay and confirm that 12 v positive is permanently on terminal 3 and then 12 v positive is on terminal 1 when the key is turned to crank position
Terminal 2 has a high resistance to groundDavid
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Connecting a bridge wire across terminals 3and4
of the relay base Cranks the engine but does not startDavid
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I now have an OB11 / EOBD scanner for code checkingDavid
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Go ahead and see if the ECM communicates then.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Scanner connection to car is not comparable
Can not use thisAdvise on next step please

How did you determine it isn't compatible? Checking for communication was the first step in diagnosing this issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The connector on the car and on the new scanner do not mateThe scanner can't be usedPlease advise on the next electrical checksDavid

You're to the point of needing to see if the ECM is communicating. That was the correct first step and was worked around to an extent. You have power feeds to the starter relay but no signal and are going to need to determine if the ECM is awake to be able to control the relay.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will now need to get a connector cable for the scanner

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Scanner now ok to usePowers up when connected to carScreen indicates. Waiting for connect to compute. Times out. Does not communicate
Screen indicates. Check connection to computerConnection to car socket is goodWhat should I do next. please adviseDavid
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where is the ecu locatedCould we have a ground wire connection issueDavid
Fuses are good, correct?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I shall recheck all fusesDavld

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All fuses ok all relays ok
FYI. Battery neg terminal to engine case is 2.1 ohms. Batt neg terminal to body is 5.1 ohms I reworked the connections and reduced the resistance to 0.7 ohms
I noticed that a new batt neg to body cable had been fitted sometime before I got the car and the connection at the body was not perfect. Now okWith batt disconnected at both Pos and neg the voltage across the disconnected car cables was 2.1. Most likely capacitors holding charge in the electronics
I bled this down to 0 v dc and then reconnected the cables to the batteryInstrument indicator lamps all illuminate and car engine cranks and starts
Gearbox fault is displayed on the instrument cluster
Scanner now communicates with engine running or stoppedSeveral stops and restarts were madePlease advise on code checking methodsDavid

Are you able to communicate with the TCM?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

What codes are set there?