Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

I live in Australia and have an 2.0L non turbo 01 that I am

Customer Question

Hi I live in Australia and have an 2.0L non turbo 01 that I am putting an 03 2.0L non turbo engine into. The engine is pretty much installed with the exception of the harness and the computer. I do not have the ecu or harness yet. could you please tell me what I have to do once I have obtained these items.
Is there any sort of matching I have to do?
does the computer need reprogramming?
does the key need to be re-matched?
If the key does need to be re-matched how do I do it?
Can I use parts off an 04 as well?
Is there anything else I have to do? can you please tell me what and how? I will have a qualified professional doing some of the work I shall be doing the rest. can you please help.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

the keys will need rematching as they security all runs through the ECU

however it needs the dealer level diagnostic tool with access to the dealer network

but also there may be some wiring loom differences so I'd check that 12V is going to the correct pins before powering it all up

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Matt, could you please tell me if I can use an 04 PT cruiser loom and computer can be used for my 03 cruiser engine as I have read the 03 to 05 are compatible as I am having trouble locating 03 parts. Also can you please tell me what these code numbers are I have read about and what they are in relation to and what they have to match or correspond to? Can anyone with a coding machine reprogram the keys? Does the donor computer need to be reprogrammed with the new VIN?
I only have one key at the moment will this be ok for reprogramming?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

OK using an 04 harness and ECU is a better solution

the code numbers will be the identification of the key module to the main ECU and so disarming the security

so the new ECU will need 're-coding' by a dealer or specialist to get all the systems to work

and yes 1 key will be enough