Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

Have just done a head gasket thermostat radiator water pump

Customer Question

Have just done a head gasket thermostat radiator water pump ((replaced all with new parts) changed old head paid for a recon head put all together starts but squalls and stalls. Keeps running while reving but stalls like vacuum leak of inlet manifold but can't find leak.also replaced timing belt.sorry forgot with all the work to this piece of crape.......1998 Mazda 626 2 litre 4 cylinder please help
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

I'd agree that checking for a vacuum leak is a good idea

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

er the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you