sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

1998 mazda 626. Hold light flashing. Automatic changing from

Customer Question

1998 mazda 626. Hold light flashing. Automatic changing from first to second roughly.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When you first drive it changes from first to second ok. Then when it changes into third, the hold light starts to flash, then it changes really rough from then on from first to second.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Depends what the problem is. And obviously how hard it is going to be to fix. Any idea??
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: Not really. But if you switch the engine off then back on again, the whole process repeats. The first gear change works ok. But when it changes into third the hold light will flash again and from first to second is really rough.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.
Hi how are you ,My name is***** will try to assist you
When it goes in 3rd gear and hold flashes does pull okay after that or it will hear down and goes in 2nd again or you can keep driving on 3rd .can you let me know thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does. It drops back a gear. But the car drives ok. It doesn't seem to slip or lose power

have the trans fluid been checked recently and any trans fluid been changed recently .

and is there any warning lights on dash other than the hold light flash .

please let me know .Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just the hold light flashing. No transmission leaks or has the fluid been changed. As far as I am aware the level is ok.

can i ask how many miles on vehicle

is it 4 cylinder 2.0 liter or a V6 2.5 liter ?

Bulletin No: 05-005/02 Last Issued: 5/21/2002 Subject: OD OFF LIGHT FLASHING AND DTC P1783 APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINs All 1998-2001 626 4 cyl. with automatic transmission and VINs lower than 1YVGF22C*15237083 and 1YVGF22E*15237083. DESCRIPTION Some vehicles may exhibit an OD OFF light flashing with DTC P1783 stored in memory after driving at highway speeds for extended periods. There may also be ATF leaking from the transmission vent tube onto the air cleaner box as well as intermittent hard shifting. These symptoms may be caused by operating conditions that cause the ATF temperature to exceed 135 degrees C (275 F). This concern is most likely to occur after extended periods of highway driving when air temperature exceeds 100 degrees F. Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the repair procedure shown.

Zoom and Print Options

PART(S) INFORMATION

Zoom and Print Options

WARRANTY INFORMATION

NOTE:
This information applies to verified customer complaints on vehicles covered under normal warranty. Refer to the SRT microfiche for warranty term information.

Zoom and Print Options

DISCLAIMER

© 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13792)

Bulletin No.: 008/98 Issued: 11/04/98 Revised: Category K (05) Applicable Model/s 1998 626 (w/FS & A/T) Subject A/T SHIFT SHOCK ON 1-2 UPSHIFT OR 3-2 DOWNSHIFT APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS All 1998 626 with FS engine and LA4A-EL automatic transmission. DESCRIPTION A customer complaint of shift shock on the 1-2 upshift or 3-2 downshift may be caused by an application of the brake band which is too harsh. A modified PCM calibration and brake band servo assembly is available to reduce this concern. Customers complaining of this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following procedure. Caution ^ Servo piston replacement and PCM reprogramming must be done together. Performing only one of these steps may result in poor shifting and reduced transmission durability. REPAIR PROCEDURE 1. Verity customer complaint.

Zoom and Print Options

2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist and install SST 49-UN01-104 onto the transmission as shown. Slowly tighten the bolt on the SST until the servo cover is raised slightly.

Note
^ Do not attach a nut to the SST as indicated in the Workshop Manual.

^ It the SST is unavailable, the servo cover may be depressed using a jack and a suitably sized socket or bar. Carefully raise the jack until the cover is depressed slightly, relieving tension on the retaining ring.

3. Remove the retaining ring.

4. Have an oil drain pan ready to catch any ATF and slowly release pressure on the servo cover until the piston and spring can be removed. Use caution as these parts are under spring pressure.

5. Refer to the Parts Information section to determine the servo piston replacement part number required based upon the number of grooves at the end of the piston rod.

Note
^ Almost all vehicles will require the single groove piston part number.

^ Replacement of the servo return spring and cover is also required. The servo cover should be replaced due to the possibility of damaging the seal during removal.

6. Coat the lip seals of the replacement servo piston and servo cover with ATF and install the new servo piston, return spring, and servo cover in the reverse order of removal, being careful not to damage the seals.

7. Adjust the ATF level to replace any ATF drained during the repair.

8. Select the appropriate card and reprogram the PCM using the "IN-CAR FLASH PROCEDURE".

^ 1998 626 FS A/T Federal with or without immobilizer system (P/N 49G0-88-014).

^ 1998 626 FS A/T California with or without immobilizer system (P/N 49G0-88-015).

9. Verify the repair.

Zoom and Print Options

PART(S) INFORMATION

Zoom and Print Options

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Zoom and Print Options

In-Car Flash Cable Procedure

did you have a check engine light on ?

have you had the car scanned ?

I believe the 2nd T S B ( Technical service bulletin ) applies to what is happening in you vehicle .

A POSITIVE RATING IS IS MUCH APPRECIATED

This post will stay open even after you rate me for you to come back and ask me any follow up questions . Thank you

Chad ( aka Jhook1398)

do you have a mazda dealer where you are If I may ask

let me know if your vin # ***** in the ranges of the diagram i just sent you

When it is going in 2nd gear with you , it is going in ( Limp Mode ) , when you are recycling the ignition switch you are resetting the TCM , there is counter in TCM it has to see the fault so many times to set a flag again ( warning light) when it does it reverts back to limp mode , until you reset with switch

Transmission MIL Illuminated with DTCs P0780 - P0785, P0829

2005 Jaguar S-Type (X200) V6-3.0L Save Article Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only Zoom and Print Options NUMBERMODEL S-TYPE, XJ, XK Zoom and Print Options DATEISSUE '2' CHANGES ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH GRAY BACKGROUNDSECTION: 307Transmission MIL Illuminated with DTCs P0780 - P0785, P0829 Stored Repair Procedure Zoom and Print Options AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGECONDITION SUMMARY Zoom and Print Options Situation/ActionPARTS:No parts necessary; information only Zoom and Print Options TOOLS Zoom and Print Options WARRANTYREPAIR PROCEDURERECONFIGURE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULECAUTION:A Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply must be connected to the vehicle battery during diagnosis / module programming.1. Connect the Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply to the vehicle battery.NOTE:IDS must be loaded with software release DVD109 Patch File 6 or later.2. Connect the IDS to the vehicle and begin a new diagnostic session by entering the correct VIN for the current vehicle.3. Follow the IDS prompts to read the vehicle configuration.4. Select 'No' when prompted 'Do you wish to read diagnostic trouble codes?'5. Select 'tick' to continue.6. Select the 'Vehicle Configuration' tab when Content Model is displayed.7. From the Vehicle Configuration menu, configure the 'Transmission control module' by selecting from the dropdown menu:^ 'Module programming' > 'Configure existing module' > 'Transmission control module'8. Select 'tick' to continue, following all on-screen instructions to complete this task.^ IDS will return to the Vehicle Configuration menu when completed.9. Exit the current session.10. Disconnect IDS and the Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply from the vehicle. © 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13792)

please disregard the last 2 post about the Jaguar , i sent to you by mistake was meant for another customer , I apologize for that .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Listen. Don't worry about it. You obviously have no idea!
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Help? What a joke. Had no idea at all!!!

Do you no longer need help?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did not get any help at all. What a joke you guys are!!

Good luck with your vehicle.