Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Ef Flacon Auto Transmission (no Dip stick0 $195,000ks. :

Customer Question

Ef Flacon Auto Transmission (no Dip stick0 $195,000ks.
JA: Do you have a manual or an automatic transmission? When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: Dont know...I bought the car recently.
On a Long trip I took (950kms) it kept shifting down to 2nd at 100km per hour. I would stop the car, turn the ignition off ...that would help. But what helped the most was a 10 min stop. ...Since then I have only made short 15 min trips with no problems except sometimes you can change the gears manually ie 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd.... I now have to do another 950km trip to give the car to my son and want to fix the problem...if it occurs again. Also not at the start of the long 950k trip about 100kms in I accidentally put it into 2nd gear at 110kph...which seemed to be a trigger point? ...
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: sorry...meant to say..Since then I have only made short 15 min trips with no problems except sometimes you CAN"T change the gears manually ie 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: I plan to change the oil and filter when I get the car back home in Brisbane before I give it to my son...which I suspect should help....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jeff,

If you want to do this yourself at home, I would suggest you make sure you can undo the level plug on the RHF of the transmission case above the pan.

Once you can loosen the plug, a level check at warm temperature would be the first thing to check.

Engine running, in Park, take out level plug, should just trickle.

If the level is low, there must be a leak somewhere also.

You can top up with 95LE trans fluid.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jeff,

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Please rate my service at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards

Gary