rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Nissan d40 keeps stalling. Hard to start when cold : Battery

Customer Question

Nissan d40 keeps stalling. Hard to start when cold
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: Battery brand new stalls when stoped. Driveing fine only when gets to lights it stalls
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: No fault code coming up. When its hot its better . Slowly geting worse. Im coving the bonnet at night . Its like it needs idleing up or choke not right
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Took it to 2 machine they say its elec took to auto elec he said itwould be some were between 2 and 5 thousand dollars to go through it . Dont no what to do
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: 180 000 km auto
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach
automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

It would help for us to acquire scan data on the cold engine to see what the fuel trims and coolant sensot are doing.

Thanks, Ron