sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Trying to fit a reversing camera to my 2005 Camry. Need to

Customer Question

Trying to fit a reversing camera to my 2005 Camry. Need to remove the scuff plates to access the wiring conduit to run a cable from boot lid to under dash to rear of new head unit. Are these plates easy enough to get out. And, yes, have a trim removal tool set (only 4 piece)
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Replacing head unit seems straight forward, running video cable through conduit is the first trick. Wiring up the reverse trigger & brake sensor will be the REAL trick bits (Head unit has a DVD Player, needs brake sensor so it only plays when parked.)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: Up until now, bog standard 2005 Camry Ateva. Mother now worried I might accidently back over a grandchild, hence the retrofit
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Removing the sill plates isn't hard at all. They are held with a combination of push-in clips and clips that are molded to the sill plates themselves. All you'll need to do to remove them is start at one end and get under it with a trim tool or door panel clip tool and start disengaging the clips. Work your way from one end or the other popping it loose and then remove it.