Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

2006 Nissan elgrand, loss of power, feels like it has switched

Customer Question

2006 Nissan elgrand, loss of power, feels like it has switched to snow mode, but no indication. no warning light. sudden high fuel usage. If I stop the car and turn the engine off for 5 seconds the problem vanishes. But will randomly occur some time later.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: no code
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: maybe
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. On some models the engine is equipped with a mass air flow sensor and if this sensor is sending an incorrect signal this will cause this issue here with it needing either removed and cleaned to correct this fault or removed and replaced.I have had this sensor fail or act up like this here before in the past needing replaced.If you have not had the fuel filter replaced in the past 15,000 km/miles this should be replaced as this can restrict and cause issues similar to this as well here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took the mass air flow sensor out, it looked like new. I did clean it with official mass air flow sensor cleaning fluid. This made no difference. I also removed the air filter to see if that made a difference and no change.
The problem happened again today. I was driving at a constant speed and had a sudden loss of power. The car is still derivable but is very slow to accelerate. Fuel consumption suddenly increases. If I turn the engine off for 5 to 10 seconds the problem completely vanishes. However if I don't turn the engine off, the problem remains until I turn it off. Could the fuel filter explain this problem? It seems to be more like an electronic issue as there is no gradual or partial change, the problem is either there or not, suddenly.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.
It is very possible this is a fuel filter restricting causing this issue here.I have seen this occur before in some cases with the fuel filters that suddenly clog up as debris moves around in the filter and can start to plug up the fuel flow.I have also seen issues with sudden fuel pump failure where the pump is not providing enough fuel pressure or volume causing this issue here as well.I would have these checked into to see if any of these are an issue needing replaced here.I would have your vehicle re checked for any fault codes as well with a compatible scan tool plugged into your model to see what codes are set. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete