Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician

Hyundai excel: Just got my 1999 hyundai back from the mechanic.

Customer Question

Just got my 1999 hyundai back from the mechanic. He put in a secondhand gearbox he got from the wreckers but claimed to put in a brand new clutch. Now, a week later, it won't go into 1st gear randomly at times. I'll have to cycle through the gears multiple times to get it into 1st. It's not all the time just sometimes. It won't go into 1st.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Actually, I should clarify: I got the gearbox from the wreckers and gave it to him to replace so if there's anything wrong with the gearbox I'm liable for it however everything else was done on his behalf. The purchasing of a new clutch, the installation of the gearbox and clutch etc...So I need to know, is the problem due to his installation of the devices and therefore is he liable or is it due to a gearbox fault and therefore would make me liable?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,Selecting 1st or reverse is the usual complaint with manual transmissions.Here is an easy test for you:When you do have the "difficult to select" happening, can you turn off the engine to see if the shifter falls into 1st gear as the engine stops?If it does, it shows the clutch is dragging.It could then be a case of it need some further bleeding or adjusting.Or he may have distorted the clutch plate on fitment.The transmission could also be the culprit, but the test above will prove one way or the other.Have you contacted him as yet?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I really want to know if it's a faulty gearbox or not because that's the only part i'm liable for because i provided it.I havn't contacted him yet because it's been a long 1 month going back and forth in regards ***** ***** I took the car in a for a road worthy certificate (a loose one) and told him the clutch was gone. He replaced the clutch and tires and quoted me*****worthy. Then after he done the quote he discovered the gear box was faulty and wouldn't go into 4th gear. So i told him im not paying the 1400 if the gear box is no good and we came to an agreement that he'll install the gearbox for free if i get one second hand from the wreckers, which i did.Now I've finally gotten it back and there are problems. The main one is that it won't go into first gear sometimes when i drive. I havn't told him yet.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I understand, but it is difficult to ascertain from a keyboard whether the clutch fitment and/or adjustment or the transmission is the cause.I'll ask some more questions if that is ok.Does the clutch feel normal to you, AND more importantly where is the take up point, closer to the floor than half way, or towards to the top of halfway?There are no abnormal noises from the transmission?Is reverse ever hard to select?Another point, his price to you was way too much.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,How did you go with your clutch/transmission problem?I hope my advice has been of assistance to you. Please rate my service at your nearest convenience. Kind regards Gary