Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Daihatsu mira 997: I have a daihatsu mira 997cc 1999 and it

Customer Question

I have a daihatsu mira 997cc 1999 and it is burning piles of oil.
It started missing on start up I checked the plugs and no1 was dirty and no2and3 clean I changed plugs then within 100km the engine started burning oil bad like a litre every 30km.
There is no blow by, the power is the same, there is no water use or bubbles.I disconnected the blow by pipe and the connection to the air cleaner.I feel the problem is something common to all cylinders like the head gasket is this possible. I also trained as a mechanic and have not experienced this problem before. It cannot be rings as the problem was instant, it did not overheat. Is there something about this engine having a special issue or trait Jack
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jack,You said no.1 was dirty, the others were clean.I would pull no.1 spark plug and reassess.For a 4 stroke to be burning a litre per 30km, it must be smoking out the tailpipe.I've never heard of instantaneous oil consumption like this unless a catastrophic internal failure has occurred, typically ring land failure, cracked piston, overheated rings, etc.Gary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a cracked piston wont effect all cylinders. I have not or any one I know experienced this one.No it is not rings because there is no blow by ,or a piston crack.I have pulled all plugs just dirty plugs what else is there to assess? I just thought that a mechanic who is familar with this engine may know something before I take the head of, not easy with this engine.
I am not surprised that you don't have the answer I will take to it tomorrow and let you know what I find Jack
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jack,I've been a mechanic for 33 years, I've built many cars and many many engines, rotaries, V8s, boxers, turbos, etc, so I think I know what I'm talking about.Taking a head off an oil burner is a waste of time.Or it just makes it a little easier to lift that little short block out for overhaul.Not everything can be fixed with a magic potion.Gary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been certified mechanic for 45 years and I don,t and you don,t know.How can you fix an oil burner if you don't take the head of? Maybe we have both been around to long. Just keep cool until I open it up and then we might both learn something Jack
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Ok Jack, I'm fine with that, I thought I might have been dealing with a young "know it all" guy.Before you take the head off, can you do a compression test, and more importantly a leakdown test?An of mine recently had low compression 60 psi on one cylinder, but the leakdown should leaking inlet valves.I rebuilt the whole engine, since it had 215000km on it.With a different turbo, (faster spool), and a ECU dyno tune, it is a completely different car, is now 197kw (AWD) where it was about 100kw (worn out).Hope you find something obvious.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jack,Have you had any success with your engine?Gary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I have not opened it up yet, to busy, will do in a few days
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
No worries Jack.Gary