Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

94 nissanbluebid: lost oil pressure

Customer Question

lost oil pressure
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello I'd 1st suggest measuring the actual oil pressure with separate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port - if you use a Tee piece you can keep the pressure switch plumbed in as well and so see if the low pressure light corresponds to a low pressure reading. As its intermittent and you have no rumbling or rattling noises from the engine its likely to be an electrical fault so 1st check the connection to the pressure switch is bright and clean and check back along the switch wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation As if the wire is grounded out at any point then this will also turn on the light. if this is all OK and the oil pressure is at least 1.3Bar ( 20psi) at hot idle then replace the switch If you do have a low pressure reading and to turn on the light it will be very low about 5psi then replace the oil pump and ensure that the pump pickup in the sump hasn't come loose or is blockedwith large implements.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you