Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

Toyota Prado: Having trouble with steering, I feel a shake

Customer Question

Having trouble with steering, I feel a shake in steering when going over rough roads,there is a knock or clunking noise in the steering column. I have been told it could be the rack and pinion. Could you please advise me of the problem and If it can be fixed. It is a 2009 Prado 120 Petrol.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Usually a noise and shake like this here can be the steering tie rods or the steering gear itself at fault as these are most common.The steering gear would be the rack and pinion assembly.This will have to be inspected further to check all steering components under the vehicle for wear or excess play to determine for sure which component(s) need replaced to correct this fault.I suspect one or more of these will be the issue here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete