Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

2014 caprice temperature sensor keeps going faulty

Customer Question

Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.

Hi Shad,

Which temperature sensor, outside air temp, or coolant temp?

If it is the outside air temp, does this happen after you wash the car?

Gary

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Coolant temperature sensor
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.

Hi Shad,

Coolant temp sensor failure is rare in VE/WM.

What are your symptoms?

Have to checked the coolant and engine oil levels?

Does the car overheat?

Have you scanned the vehicle, especially the engine ECM for codes/DTCs?

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hi Shad,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Please rate my service at your nearest convenience.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi mate I have scanned it for codes there's nothing yes when the temperature sensor is faulty it comes up with the code but if you clear it it work ok for next week or so and also every week I have to top up the water abt 100-200 ml if I don't after a week the second radiator fan starts going off if I don't top up the water then the temperature gauge starts to rise slowly.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

I would say you have a faulty thermostat.

They are known for causing coolant temp sensor codes.

You are replacing the coolant temp sensor for no reason, replace the thermostat.

A big job for those who haven't done one though.

And you could also have a coolant loss you don't know about.

Gary

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I have tought the same thing that there is a water leak some where I done a pressure test left it over night but there was no leak cause the pressure tester Diddnt lose any pressure then I thought I might have a faulty thermostat so I took it out and left it with no thermostat but it's still the same ....
You think it could be the head gas kit
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

I had a VE logging coolant temp sensor codes, and sure enough somebody had pulled the centre out the thermostat.

The PCM logs the code as expected temp versus actual temp.

VE does have porous cylinder heads, generally into the spark plug tubes.

They also have weeping welch plugs from the heads, heads off to fix.

I would fit a factory thermostat, ensure coolant filled correctly and bled, and monitor system performance.

How many kms on this engine now?

Gary

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's done 127564 KM and today I flushed the cooling system replaced the thermostat left it for running and bled the cooling system and put coolant from holden and left the car running for like 5 hwrs and went on a test drive and when I stopped at the red lights temperature is all normall but the second radiator fan is working and I can hear it loud I have another same model car and in that it not the same but it's not overheating at this stage as soon as I parked the car I could hear noises from the overflow bottle water/steam coming out from the overflow water as in the car is overheating and the water is overflowing from the radiator to the over flow bottle and I have just parked it there for it to cool down so I can check the water lever a bit later on ..... What do you think what could it be ?
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

OK, sounds promising so far.

Have you got a factory pressure cap?

Are you aware of the fill/bleed procedure for Commodore?

Do you use a coolant fill bleeder device?

Gary

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's the original cap for the radiator yes we have a special bottle the goes on to the radiator and we will it to top till all the bubbles/air comes out I ran it with the bottle full of water to top for like 1 hwr and made sure there was no air left also before the bleeding when I open the cap and car was running all the water was splashing out like bad could it be the head gas kit ... Problem or something els
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

Ok, did you have the heater on during the bleed process?

You don't need to have it running for an hour to bleed.

The system is bleed if the heater is blowing hot air, and when the fans come on the coolant will shrink and the level will drop, allowing you to get the full volume in.

If the coolant throws out the filler neck during the next warmup cycle, you could have a head gasket issue.

Gary