sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Did a transmission oil and filter change on Nissan pulsar

Customer Question

Hi, did a transmission oil and filter change on Nissan pulsar yesterday, had one bolt that wouldn't do up ( the longest one) found out this morning that is the control valve assembly and other people have left this bolt out with no problem. My problem is it drove fine yesterday after doing change now it's stuck in first gear and not shifting up, reverse is working, any ideas? Thank you in advance, Nigel
JA: I'm the Nissan Mechanic's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you. Many things can cause transmission trouble. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Possibly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: The old oil was dark looked as if some metal filings in it could that be clutch plates breaking up and why it's not changing? Strange how after it was a lot smoother changes after the change now over night stuck
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the fluid was dark and/or smelled burnt and especially if there was metal in the fluid it may have an internal failure.The lack of shifting could be quite a few things including clutch damage or leakage, it may be debris in the valve body, or the trans may be in limp in if it's new enough to be electronically controlled.What year is the vehicle?What was the reason for changing the fluid?