Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,

Guys, sorry but I am new to this game, so please bide with

Customer Question

Hi guys, sorry but I am new to this game, so please bide with me. I have a 1999 Jackeroo Monterey 3,5 v-6 Took it out to collect firewood, ready to go home,but there were no forward gears, only reverse. I should have told you that it has a auto box. So I drove home for I km in reverse, checked oil levels in transfer box and torque convertor, all oke. Removed switching gear from the selector on side of box, all contacts tested oke. Now , what is the next step ?, keeping in mind that I am stoney broke at the present. please let me hear from you lot
regards Jo
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
Hello I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park. You can top up thebox through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oilfor your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommendeda change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - theywill advise you on the updated fluid to use.. If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up Then - you should top up if low and re try it -or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you