Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician

My holden barina (2004) has stalled twice over the last

Customer Question

Hi, my holden barina (2004) has stalled twice over the last week while waiting at a red light. it starts back up after i turn it off though.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: the first time was on flat ground, the second time was on an incline. the battery is the original, hasn't been replaced
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: holden
JA: Huh?
Customer: It's a Holden car
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,I am a Holden Tech, hence my username, I will help you here.Your Barina is an XC, could be one of three engines, do you know which one?Is it the C14SE 1.4, Z14XE 1.4, or Z16XE 1.6?Does the engine light stay on for a period after the restart of the engine?Can you get a scan done of the ECM (engine) at Supercheap, or if you have access to a scan tool?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Gary,Thanks for your response. It's a Z14XE engine, the engine light doesn't stay on for a period after the restart of the engine. I have a Supercheap just 2 minutes away so i can get a scan done in the morning.ThanksMayra
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
That will great Mayra, then we can go from there.My bet is it will have a P0400, P0404 EGR type code.Hear from you soon.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Mayra,Have you had the scan done?I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.I have had many Barinas with a fault like you have.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience. Kind regards Gary