Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

Oh wow i wasn't expecting a chat window on this site! pearl,

Customer Question

Oh wow i wasn't expecting a chat window on this site! Hi pearl, my name is ***** ***** have a 2002 automatic honda civic which has been giving me grief for the past 2 years. When the rpms are 1000 or below the car starts shaking and then cuts out.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I've had my mechanic look at it a few times but he's stumped. I guess i just want some direction! I've spent hours reading other forums for advice
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: Today, for the first time a light on the dash started flashing in the shape of a key
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
+ we've checked for error codes - nothing comes up
+ we've sprayed top end cleaner in (wherever you spray it, excuse my lack of mechanic speak!)
+ replaced the idle air control valve
+ checked the fuel pumpCar starts up each time fine after it cuts out. But sometimes feels like its struggling to respond to pressing on the accelerator, as if someone was pulling the car backwards.
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
Hello This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running. Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements. It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them. This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you