Doug, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Factory trained technician

I have a triton with a worn key which is causing the ignition

Customer Question

I have a triton with a worn key which is causing the ignition barrel to not turn. How to I get the barrel out?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I can't turn the ignition barrel. I assume the key is work and not engaging the tumblers. How do I get the ignition barrel out to replace it?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. I am a Toyota mechanic and have remove Toyota key but not Mitsubishi.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried wiggling the key, pushing the barrel release button. I have removed the ignition switch so I can start the vehicle but can't get the steering lock off.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mitsubishi Mechanic should know about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: No that's it. I know I need to drill it out but I'm just not sure where
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.
Hi,If you are unable to get the ignition to turn, the barrel can not be removed without force.Your only options here are to either:1) have the key hole drilled out until the barrel can be turned. This involves drilling out the tumblers entirely. I strongly recommend this be done by a lock smith as the risk of damage to the lock housing by drilling too deep is quite high.2) Remove the lock housing and drill straight through the release button. This will cause damage to the lock housing, but depending on severity you can sometimes reuse the housing. 3) Replace the lock housing entirely, and install a new barrel.If you plan on going this yourself and you do not want to get a new lock housing, your only option is to begin drilling out the key hole in slowing increasing sized bits. Once you get the hole around 13mm or so you can begin trying to pick out the tumblers debris. Keep an eye on your depth, you don't want to go any deeper than the length of the key of course; at the end of the barrel is a small tab that engages the lock housing, and if you drill too deep and hit the lock housing it will be ruined.