sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 1996 UCF20R LS 400 , I have problems with my Instrument

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1996 UCF20R LS 400 , I have problems with my Instrument cluster. Tacho & Speedo stick when first started & a smack on the dash & they work fine. Temp Gauge has been gradually decreasing in temp but have noticed when I have hit a sharp bump the gauge drops each time until now it is under the cold mark & when the engine is cold it is probably close to the amount out below the cold mark. I have had my local repairer look at it and repaired many dry solder joints but after $500 it is no different if not worse. This is an Australian Lexus.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Lexus. The Lexus Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No need advise for the repairer as I will be asking them to do it again
JA: OK! The Lexus Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Lexus Mechanic should know about your Lexus?
Customer: No everything else is ok running Temp is normal, alternator did fail a couple of weeks back but that has been repoaired
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If you're able to hit the dash and have the instrument cluster operate normally then the problem is in the cluster or a poor connection at it's connector. What I would recommend is closely inspecting the connector terminals for damage, spreading or corrosion and they can be cleaned with contact cleaner.If no connection issues are found and no internal problems in the cluster could be found then the instrument cluster is going to need to be replaced to repair the issue.