Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician

Ford Territory SZ: Glenn. Temperimental Transmission. I

Customer Question

Hi Glenn.
Temperimental Transmission.
I have a July 2009 Territory SZ Ghia with 158K on the clock.
My transmission (4 speed) goes into "Get me home" mode from time to time and no one at my Ford dealer, or anywhere else for that matter, can sort this problem out for me. On the 2 previous occassions it was hot (+35oc) and towing a trailer.
Ford tell me it was an electronic problem when the transmission gets too hot however the transmission radiator is rated for heavy towing!. Ford recently replaced some sort of shield between the engine block and spark plugs thinking it was shorting out and making the transmission think it had a problem. It didnt stop the problem and last Friday morning when, in cool conditions with 4 passagers, it went into 3rd gear for limping home. I stopped the car and turned it off, as Ford suggested, and got home OK but had to change cars to do a 400km drive. I rely on my car every day so it is a major problem. Any ideas.
Regards, Greg
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi Greg,Do you have an additional external oil cooler in series with the radiator transmission cooler?If not, I would have one added.The trans computer would be programmed to go back to 3rd gear, since it is a 1:1 ratio, and helps lower temperature by less friction within the trans and higher oil flow from the trans pump from higher engine speed.Temperatures above 125 cause faster wear of the trans, 130 would be the limp home temp.It's not really limp home, just prevents 4th gear and torque convertor lockup.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Greg,I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience.Kind regards Gary