Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I have a 1998 Toyota Hiace Van have installed a new battery,

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Toyota Hiace Van have installed a new battery, seems to charging from the alternator as there is over 14V at battery when running. I have cleaned up all terminals and some smaller earth wires, just seems funny that there are multiple lights up, light battery, oil, water etc, when all of there are O.K
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I think it will be something simple don't have a wiring diagram, for multiple lights to be on I am thinking a bad earth or connection somewhere.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the battery yesterday as the starting had been a bit sluggish and coming into the cooler months it will fail for sure and it is about 4 years old. The warning lights had been coming on prior to the battery change, initially I thought the voltage was a bit low. I have checked the alternator as when the motor is running I get a high voltage at the battery.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: No I don"t
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Toyota Mechanic to figure that out. Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No just the warning light issue thanks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. If the vehicle is starting and running properly with this issue here the fault may be in the instrument gauge assembly itself as it controls these lights that are coming up like this here.If there is an internal short in it this causes this fault here.I would have this tested further to see if this is the cause for sure and if found to be an issue it will need either removed and repaired or removed and replaced.I have seen this fail before needing repaired or replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete