indy-tech, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  All import and domestic car repairs and diagnostics

Mitsubishi Pajero escape: My Mitsubishi pajero 2000 3.5 v6

Customer Question

My Mitsubishi pajero 2000 3.5 v6 petrol i start her up runs fine warms up and drops down in revs and idles good then just cuts out! Then i cant start it again just turns over, i then leave it for 20 mins come back to it and f ires up again does what i said above again. Intil cuts out. Then evetually it wont start at all lost spark so i checked the coils they seem ok the 3 of them same ohm reading, checked crank and cam sensor hac no feed but thought both sensors could not have failed at the same time! So i replaced the ignition module got spark back and is doing the same problem i had at the start. need any sugestions please
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  indy-tech replied 6 months ago.
Hi Good morning . Did you check for malfunction codes .Was the check engine light (service engine soon) "ON" when the engine was running . Rgds Greg.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi greg
Do you need a device to check the malfunction codes? And no light was on when running.
Yes you need a diagnostic scan tool for OBD II system . This is looking like a cam / crankshaft sensor issue .doing a diagnostic scan for codes and checking live data will help you diagnose this issue . In live data and when trying to start see if you have RPM readings if not then you have a crank sensor issue .Not sure what tools you can get to use or if you have to visit a local repair shop to check this . If the crank sensor is bad you will have to strip down the front timing belt cover to gain Access. If no tools : when you have a no start issue crank engine and check the operation of the tachometer should read 250 +/-50rpm if no reading possible crank sensor malfunction . Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,A bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just got hold of a OBD ll scan tool the launch reader creader V code reader fitted to car and went to access fault codes goes throught a few things as to show it is going through stuff but at the end it says comunication error
Can you access other modules like abs ,airbags etc . Disconnect the crankshaft sensor ,disconnect the battery for 10 minutes ,then after 10 minutes reconnect the battery but not the crankshaft sensor then hook up the scan tool and see if you now have communications, then check for codes .If you can replace the crank sensor .A bad crank sensor can in some cases cause the scan tool not to be able to communicate with the ECU.. Rgds Greg Greg
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi GregI did what you said and still cant communicate with the ecu i even un plugged the cam sensor the second time then both for the 3rd time still no communication. And i cant access anhthing else.
Did you leave it unplugged when you tried to get comms if yes then have the ECU removed and tested and get repaired ,Better to repair yours as this will be much cheaper as there will be no need for expensive programming . Greg