Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

I have a 65 Mustang with a 289/302 Windsor which has a

Customer Question

I have a 65 Mustang with a 289/302 Windsor which has a tappet clatter that I do not seem to get rid of. I have already installed new lifters as part of the remedy with no results. I have tried numerous ways of tappet adjustment with no results. This includes piston TDC on compression stroke tightening the nut to zero lash and then adding another half turn. Also followed the Ford workshop manuals suggestion of TDC on compression stroke, compressing the lifter spring and then adjusting the nut to allow a rocker valve stem gap of 1.7mm to 4.2mm. Also tried doing an adjustment while the engine is running, backing off the nut till the rocker starts to clatter and then tightening the nut till the noise disappears then adding another half turn with no consistent results. I have noticed that on some of the rockers I end up screwing down the rocker nut until the end of the thread on the stud. The studs are press in type with no stepped stop. Any suggestions. Thanks
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist have you checked the camshaft for being worn out and the lobe worn down??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Roy, The camshaft was replaced as part of the reco of the engine about 5000kms ago. Its a performance cam but is inly a mild profile. I measured the push rods at being +/- 6.896" long. The other thing that concerns me is that the rockers on the heads at the moment have a rib on either side of the valve pad which I believe assists in keeping the rocker central to the valve stem and would counteract the tendency for the rocker to slip off the valve stem. This is different to the rockers I have on another 289 I have which have no ribs along the rocker pad end. So this raises the question "Is there a difference" to the extent that the wrong rockers may be contributing to this problem ?
Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.
ok, thanks. 2 thoughts.1. check to be sure the studs are not pulling from the heads.2. you may have a lifter that is not holding. the plunger may be bad inside. 3. the last is oil pressure. does the push rod have oil feeding to the rocker when running?? roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Roy, the studs are OK. I will check the oil pressure and then evaluate the possibility of a worn or sticking plunger. I will do that tomorrow and then get back to you. Thanks
Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.
ok. sounds good