Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

I have a 2005 Daewoo Kalos with no injector pulses coming

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2005 Daewoo Kalos with no injector pulses coming from the ECM .Engine runs on quick start gas Cam and crank sensor waveforms look
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,You have no pulse at the injector plugs with a noid light, is that correct?The 12 volt ignition feed is there at each injector?Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Gary
I don't use a noid light as I have found an oscilloscope is OK for this test and there is no injector pulses coming from the ECU Note that the engine starts and runs with quick start (spray can gas) feeding the air intake .It stops when the gas is removed .
I have checked the CAM and Crank sensor waveforms with a dual beam scope and their amplitudes seem OK but not sure about the timing on this model .. Do you have any timing information diagrams for this modelThanks
Dave
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dave,I would say if the engine runs on a carb cleaner etc, it proves everything else, (cam timing, compression etc) is correct.Does it log codes while running?At the injector plug, what is is missing, the ECM supplied pulsing ground or the ignition 12 volt on the other wire?If it is no pulse, I would say your ECM is faulty.Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
With the injector connectors plugged in they have +12 volts on both the power side and the pulse side to the ECM ..
I did a code check early on in the testing but I could not find any codes . The tester says no codes present .. I did a test on the tester by pulling off the crank sensor and the code for that came up OK .. Do these cars require adaption if the ECM is replaced . If so are you able to supply that ? Do you have any cam and crank scope diagrams for this model .The wave forms are there but not sure if they are correct
Cheers
Dave
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dave,I would say if the engine runs on ether or carb cleaner etc, the cam and crank signals are correct.Is this the original ECM or another you have swapped in?I have never needed to scope cam or crank signals.Diagnosis is either a power, ground or signal wire issue for sensors.You are seeing 12 volts both sides since the pulsing ground is not happening, although the ECM side would be a little less because of the injector resistance.I'll see what else I can find, it has been a while since I've seen a Kalos.It could be that the ECM thinks, "clear flood mode", can you check the throttle position sensor operation?Can you look at all data, engine speed even while cranking at say 200-300 rpm, ECT at expected temp of say 20, not 140, or the injectors don't fire until the ECM knows where is NO. 1 cylinder.It logs a code for crank sensor, can you get it to log a code for cam sensor?Or will it start with the cam sensor disconnected?They become a Barina under the Holden badge when Daewoo was bought out by GM.Talk soon.Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Gary
The Kalos still has the original ECM .Thanks for your help so far
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dave,I can understand the cam sensor.The crank sensor could be normal, with the highs at TDC/BDC, but as to what there values should be, I don't know.Can you do that with the engine idling on ether?Have you got an OBD2 scantool to look at engine data?Something else is wrong, disabling the injectors.Gary