Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Holden Commodore: , My 2008 Holden commodore dual fuel

Customer Question

My 2008 Holden commodore dual fuel VE sometimes shows "check engine" sign when there's a misfire. Lasts about 3 minutes then disappears. Sometimes there is rough idling when engine is turned on. Car struggles and is rough at 1500rpm, especially with load and going uphill. All these issues appear to be worse when running on unleaded fuel rather than LPG. So far have changed coils, spark plugs, serviced auto transmission and just did 135k service. any suggestions?
Kumar
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Kumar,I know VE very well, so I'll help you here.Do you know if your car is factory dual fuel?I would say that your fuel injectors are "dirty", very common for LPG cars, due to less use of fuel injectors.Who replaced the spark plugs?Did the inlet manifold gaskets get replaced at the same time?Was there any other issues noted like vacuum hoses perished etc?Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Gary,I bought the car used from a reputable car dealer. It has factory fitted gas. Spark plugs were replaced by a mechanic through the dealer. As far as I know inlet manifold gaskets were not replaced. No other issues were noted.
Cheers kumar
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Kumar,How long have you owned the car?If you have a friend with you, can you tell me whether is blows a "puff" of black smoke during this first 3 minutes?It does sound like you have weeping fuel injectors.I would recommend you take the car to a LPG specialist for his thoughts.Spark plug gaps are even more important on LPG cars.Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Gary,I bought the car two weeks ago. No puff of black smoke. Spark plugs were changed last week.Cheers Kumar
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Kumar,That's what I wanted to hear.You have stat warranty on a vehicle bought from a dealer.Have you done any of this work, or was it done before you bought it?Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Gary,The coils and spark plugs were changed by the dealer after I brought it back to him the day after I bought it. I did the 135k service todayand auto transmission service last week.
Cheers Kumar
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Kumar,Ok, that's good, the problem is still theirs.Ring them up, tell them it is still not right, and "I don't want it back until it is right".Or I want another identical car, or consumer affairs.Stat warranty is one month of ownership.Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Gary. I am of the Kuala Lumpur in the morning and will be back next Tuesday. I will do as you say and will keep you posted.Cheers Kumar
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Kumar,Have a good holiday.We'll talk when you are back here.Gary