Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.

Subaru Outback 3.0 R Limited: thereMy Subaru Outback

Customer Question

Hello there
My Subaru Outback 2008 H6 will not release the key. However if I disconnect the negative terminal on the battery, it then allows me to put it in the neutral position.
I removed the plastic assembly above the automatic gear stick and the switch appears to be working.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have also checked all fuses which are fine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have also checked the solenoid at the automatic gears , but touching the break I can hear the solenoid engage with a click
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi Mark,A common complaint with many cars.Are you in park when trying to remove the key, you don't mention selecting park first only neutral.Can you check your brake lights are working?Do you have a towbar?Gary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello there,Thanks for getting in touch.
Yes I have it in P also.Brake light ms working.Solenoid appears to be working at the automatic gear manifoldWhen the car battery is disconnected the key can be removedBoth spare and other key have the same issue.Any assistance would be appreciated
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
There is a solenoid at the key barrel that prevents key removal unless the vehicle is in park and foot on brake, safety design for many reasons.The barrel solenoid does not have the circuit path because of an open in wiring or the switch on the shifter etc is faulty.It could one of a few things, some are easy fixes.Best take it to Subaru.Gary