Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  own shop 25yrs
14541291

I have a 1997 Toyota Tarago and the bus keeps on

Customer Question

Hello i have a 1997 Toyota Tarago and the bus keeps on building up pressure in the cooling system, to a point where it splits the water tank at the top of the radiator where the cap is situated. We have asked a local mechanic about this and he said that this was definantly a cracked head gasket and said to run seal up through the engine. We have since done this and there has been no change to the problem. (We have used 3 x 250mm bottles) The motor starts absolutely fine, no water coming out of the exhaust and the oil is excellent (no creaming inside the oil cap like vehicles with head issues have). One thing that i have noticed in the water tank (we have replaced the split one but havnt driven it - just started it) there seems to be really fine little bubbles floating across the water surface. Bus runs fine if you drive along with the raditor cap off or on one notch down from being fully tight and then when you get up to about 100km/h the temp gauge starts to rise and when you stop you can hear steam noises and boiling noises under the bonnet.... then take the radiator cap off and water spurts out.We have taken this to a local mechanic and he has just done eveything that we have tried.Be very glad of how you can help.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.the first thing to try here is to bleed the cooling system,you may have air in it..bleed it this way1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold2-start the engine and let idle3-turn the heater on max4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed5-spme coolant may gush out with the air6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture and the heater is hot7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the capThis may take as long as 20-30 minutes.if it still builds up pressure in the cooling system,then i would think your head gasket is blown and will need to be replaced..i would doubt block seal fixing this,sorry.you will need to replace the head gasket and have the head checked for cracksthanksIf you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.