Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

Hyundai Excel: Daniel,I have a 1999 Hyundai Excel X3

Customer Question

Hi Daniel,
I have a 1999 Hyundai Excel X3 Twin Cam. 268 682km odometer reading.
On start up, engine starts and stops immediately. Turn the key off, on restart, vehicle starts and runs. As it is gradually getting worse, sometimes on the second restart, the engine runs rough and stumbles, and returns to normal idle. Vehicle runs fine.
This scenario occurs when parked up in the afternoon, sits overnight for 12 hours, before restarting in the morning. It is now starting to do this when sitting whilst parked at work for 9 hours before driving home.
29,000km ago I replaced the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. At the time of replacement the car was running fine. I replaced it due to the fuel stain on the top of the regulator housing that was so common to the Excel's.
The diaphragm is not compromised, I have checked the fuel pressure regulator and there is no prescence of fuel or vapour in the vacuum line from the regulator to plenum chamber.
20,000km ago, I replaced the fuel pump, due to a different issue.
I replaced the fuel filter last night. Was overdue, there was a notable difference between the flow restriction when blowing through the old filter and new filter as a comparison, but not blocked. Vehicle still had problem starting after replacement.
Checked all manifold vacuum hoses, condition ok, no split or cracked hoses when visually inspected. Checked for vacuum leaks with engine running and using carburettor cleaner sprayed in the vicinity, no change in engine revs.
Any thoughts, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I have seen issues with a weak fuel pump and restricted fuel filter cause this fault here needing replaced.If you have not had the fuel pressure tested this needs done to see if the fuel pump or filter need replaced to correct this fault here.If this is or has been done already and found o.k. let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned in my first question, I have already replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. More assistance is required please. Thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
I apologize for some reason all of the info didnt show up here until now. With what you have already checked and replaced here one other very common component to cause this issue is a fault with the engine coolant temp sensor itself.If this sensor is sending an incorrect engine coolant temp when the engine is cold it will try and start the engine lean with a lack of fuel control from the computer.This causes this fault here.If this signal has not been checked with the correct scan tool plugged into your model to see if this sensor is sending false data this needs done and this sensor replaced if found to be at fault.If this is found to be o.k. I have seen one or more fuel injectors leak fuel into the cylinders as the engine sits flooding out the engine in some cases.I would have the fuel injectors tested to see if one or more are an issue needing replaced. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete