Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Suzuki Grand Vitara J24B 16 valve: How to set timing on a j24b

Customer Question

How to set timing on a j24b suzuki Grand Vitara 2008.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** are interference engine, so if the timing was off, it will kiss the valves and usually bend them, if the timing marks lineup, but there is no compression, then you have bent valves and will need to pull the head, nothing else,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Are you still here?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have removed the head and there are no bent valves. only intake vales 2(both), one on number three and one on number four is leaking when water is poured in the intake port. I will definitely have to get the head done that's okay. I want to rule out the issue of a faulty variable valve timing unit. I want to know the timing procedure and get the diagram for the timing marks so I can put back the timing as i will buy a reconditioned cylinder head at the head exchange tomorrow. I did a compression test prior to removing the head but no reading was recorded at any of the cylinders.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
A VVT unit will NOT cause no compression, it can lower it a lttlle , but not cause 0 compression, running water is not a good check on the valves, a cylinder leak down is required, I bet every cylinder has a little bent valve, give me a minute to pull up the timing procedure,Tim
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not open the the throttle fully so that air will go in the intake. Maybe that caused the no compression. Anyway the exhaust valves are fine. Nevertheless I will not be using that head as i will be exchanging it. I just want to make sure as the vvt has a mechanism and it springs about that its cam lobes/marks and those on the exhaust cam are properly positioned. The correct installation procedure and marks are indispensable.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Cylinder one had no bent valves on either intake or exhaust valves but however did not have compresssion at all. Well at the point where things are I just have to replace the head enure that the VVT mechanism is okay get the timing procedure and marks and reset everything.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I am still here, I dont have the diagrams for the 2.4, just the 2.5 and the 2.7, we dont have the 2.4 in the united states, I will opted out and see if anther expert has them,Tim
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do not forget the timing procedure and diagram Tim. The 2.4 has only one timing chain. The M16,J20, both has two chains but the J24b has only one timing chain.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
As I said above, We do not have the 2.4 in the states, so I dont have that info, I will opt out and see if another expert has it,Tim
Expert:  indy-tech replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech). Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.Still need assistance with this issue Rgds Greg.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Greg
I took the cylinder head to be examined and pressure tested at a specialised shop. According to them there were no bent valves. Regardless I got them to get it completely redone changing all the valve stem seals etc. Thus the no compression issue now leads to the VVT mechanism. This is so as I went to Suzuki in Perth and Managed to get the genuine OEM timing procedure and diagrams for the car. Retrospecting on what I did it was clear that all the three marks were properly aligned meaning that I did put the timing correctly. I have yet to check the bottom end before putting back the head but however there are no valve marks on the piston and I have put petrol on all of them and they are sealing fine. I will be most grateful thus if you can assist me with any procedure etc which can be useful in testing and determining if the variable valve timing mechanism is faulty.
Thanks
Okay sounds good please get back to me when you have it back together do you have a manual for this engine . Greg