Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

My 4.5 Petrol Auto 6 cylinder GXL 1998 Toyota 4WD 105 Series

Customer Question

My 4.5 Petrol Auto 6 cylinder GXL 1998 Toyota 4WD 105 Series sounds noisey is smokey at 240,000 kilometers. Wondering if it is hard to fit the 4.7 Lexus V8 in it. With 5 speed. As Find it needs more grunt to tow my Caravan. Thankyou Max
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Original 240,000 k
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Noisy on start up. Smells a bit oily. Otherwise goes well
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Is the cost of rebuilding the 4.5 six Cylinder much cheaper than rebuilding an 8 Cylinder. And my 105 Chassis is close to the 80 series with no IRS and stronger Chassis with LSD. Does that make the fitting of a 4.7 harder
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with ABS (as well as brakes in general.) Do you happen to have the code? Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI, I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question. Ok, it is much more than just whether the engine will fit in your vehicle's engine bay, which it will. You will need the wiring harness and computer from the donor vehicle. You will also need the transmission and the driveshaft will have to be custom made. Then you will need custom made engine and transmission mounts.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks