AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Mini Cooper s clubmam: (lifespan of timing tensioner and timing

Customer Question

(lifespan of timing tensioner and timing chain)
i own a Mini copper s clubman chilli 2008 how long are the timing tensioner and chain suppost to last ?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Timing chains should last the life of the vehicle. Unfortunately with the mini coopers, they have been having a lot of problems with the timing chain tensioners breaking somewhere around 40,000 miles causing engine damage. BMW refuses to initiate a recall to address the issue. Has your mini cooper already suffered a failed timing chain tensioner?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Brian
Yes tentioner was attended to at aprox at 47.000ks which probably needed earlier as I was experiencing tractor like noise on starting the car especially if weAther was cold within the first year of buying brand new ! The timing chain failed at 64000ks and replaced just out of 3 year warrantee and Bmw honoured that under warrantee . Now timing chain has failed again at 98000ks in October 2015 still waiting to resolve issue and have a case open at tribunal
Hi Sophia. Sorry for the delay. The failures you are experiencing appear to be right on target. It is an absolute shame, the problems they are having with these tensioners and ultimately engine failures as a result. They do claim that regular 3,000 mile oil changes will prevent these failures. I had read once that there was a class action law suit being filed as a result of these issues but I am not aware of it's status. That was a while ago I read that.