Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Glenn, I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Pajero, which I have

Customer Question

Hi Glenn,
I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Pajero, which I have recently purchased.
There is a very loud noise which randomly comes from the engine compartment.
I'll try and describe it, it seems to start quite quickly and sounds like a loud grating noise which lasts about 30 seconds. I have slowed down, depressed the clutch and reved the engine, none of which make any difference to the sound. Then the noise slows down a little and thud its gone.
It seems to appear when I'm doing 40 - 60 Km/h. I've not noticed it at highway speeds or when 4WDing. As I say, it does not happen very often.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this fault here at all?

Let me know so we can continue from here,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pete,
sorry for the delay, no I have not seen any warning lights come on.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I apologize for the delay as well here.

This noise may be an issue with one of the pulleys or components the drive belt operates.I have seen some of these act up before and cause this type of fault here usually on first start up needing replaced.Usually an automotive stethescope is used to listen to the pulleys and drive belt components to locate one or more that are causing this issue here needing replaced.In some cases you can use a large diameter vacuum or heater hose with one end up to your ear and the other end probing around the pulleys and components on the engine to locate the source of the noise.If you can try this,this will help pinpoint the source of the noise here but I suspect from what is described this may be a pulley or drive belt component at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete