Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

Power drivers seat forward/back power drive to inside rail

Customer Question

power drivers seat forward/back power drive to inside rail has come away from track.
wk2 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo crd [vm engine]
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Usually this can indicate the seat track itself needs replaced to correct this issue here.I have seen seat tracks come apart before in the past needing replaced to correct faults like this here.In some cases some components on the seat can be replaced separately from the track but most of the time the seat track itself would need replaced.

If you can post a picture here of what has come apart this will better help determine if this is what needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the cable which runs from door side to tunnel side is not attached to the inner track, the carrier for the cable is positioned above the track and not fixed to the track, hence when trying to move seat fore/aft the cable just spins from the motor end , it looks like a drive end has come adrift and the cable has flexed and come out of the track. the seat will move a little on the door side track but of course twists on the inner track.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Does the end of the cable appear to be broken or damaged at all or any retainer that holds the cable in place?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that is what I explained in my reply!
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

O.k.,the retainer that holds the cable to the track may need re attached if it can be if it has broke away.The cable end if o.k. will need reinserted into the track assembly to then be able to move the track properly.The track will need aligned before this is done.If this cannot be re attached at all then the track assembly may need replaced as I have had to do in the past before.

Thanks Pete