sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2004 Ford BA falcon futura, the ignition switch let

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2004 Ford BA falcon futura, the ignition switch let go and the key went floppy so we have replaced the steering column with one I purchased off ebay. All the ignition lights come on but it wont kick over. Ive lost the radio security code would this stop it from starting??
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: we live in a remote are and its 2hrs to nearest ford dealer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: the red light with the hand flashes quickly which from reading the book is the engine immobiliser
JA: Our top Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you bypass the immobiliser?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Not having the radio code shouldn't be affecting the engine starting. I expect the issue is with the replacement column.

Your key has a transponder that is programmed to the vehicle, if an incorrect key is used then the engine isn't going to start. I'm wondering if you may have installed a used steering column and were attempting to use the lock cylinder and key that came with it. If so then that's the reason it won't start. The lock cylinder would need to be removed and keyed correctly to use your key, or the lock cylinder would need to be removed from the old column and installed in the new one if the cylinder was undamaged.