Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.

Volvo 850r 1996 No spark, I have started going through a

Customer Question

Volvo 850r 1996 No spark
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have started going through a check list I have 12v to the red coil wire I measure 10v between ground and blue wire cranking
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: no
JA: Our top Volvo Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Volvo Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Volvo Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help, have you tried another cam sensor yet by chance? drivers side back of the exhaust cam.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I replaced that about a year ago with a brand new one is it likely to go again that soon?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had a similar problem then and replaced cam sensor, crank sensor and coil. What is the method to test the cam sensor?
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

hmmm.. I don't know, You would think they would last longer. You have to have a scope to check them, or advanced type Volvo VST scan tool. any codes setting? I believe you can ohm them out, but I'm not positive on the method, I would have to look it up. That one is OBD II first year 96, have you tried to check codes yet by chance?

Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Does the check engine light go OUT when cranking or does it stay on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do you mean the light on the bottom row next to the service indicator (item 21 in the owners manual on page 1:5
If that is the one you mean it does not come on at all
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Alright, I'm in the USA, just to double confirm, this is a 5 cyl. gas engine correct? turbo or non turbo?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1996 850R turbo wagon
I have just pulled the cam sensor measuring between the outside pins I get infinity 4.3Megs between ctr and one side 11.0 Megs and the other side open circuit
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Is the hall effect metal piece tight bolted to the end of the cam?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
rock solid. what ohm measurements should I get from the sensor?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you there
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry, check this video out, it's a good video to check camshaft position sensor. Let me look at the wiring diagram when I get home, I will respond asap. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my email address would not enter it said it had been used before but it is***@******.***
please confirm
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

I cannot confirm personal email address. That would be customer service that would need to verify. Email***@******.*** and they can verify it for you.