Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

I have bought a car from a dealer where the engine and

Customer Question

Hi Mike, I have bought a car from a dealer where the engine and transmission are not original. The engine number does not match the VIN number. How can i found out if the engine and transmission are "permissable" modifications that did not need a VASS certificate for VicRoads (because no VASS certificate was provided by the dealer when he changed the registration from a a manual to an automatic)
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

I need the engine and transmission numbers as well as the vin number

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Eric,
Thanks forgetting back to me.
Engine No: B5502421
Serial No:(###) ###-####(What is this?)
I do not have the transmission number, but can get it in daylight tomorrow. (Where will I find it?)
I have already bought a report from Vin check people, but mostly it tells of the car current status, not the original. I rang Mazda who checked their DB and said the current engine number does not match the vin number, and that until recently registered as an auto (for my purchase), it had been previously registered as a manual.
I think the engine was swapped for a 1.5L auto B5 series engine, but don't know what the original engine size was.
Would a swap from a 1.3L to a 1.5L engine be acceptable? Is the room available in the engine space the same for cars that have a 1.3 and cars that have a 1.5? The problem that started allthis is that transmission oil is leaking out continuously.
An RACV registered car mechanic examined the engine and gave a long list of problems including that the front engine mount is starting to split. Is this serious?
Sorry to bombard you with questions, but i am trying to find out if I have enough evidence to support a VCAT claim to get my money back.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I am not having any luck with getting the information you need. I will opt out and see if another expert can