Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

I have a 1998 falcon ute 6 cylinder, when the engine is cold

Customer Question

I have a 1998 falcon ute 6 cylinder, when the engine is cold it has flat spot on acceleration and chugs out black smoke, when the engine is warm it is fine.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have replaced the spark plugs, leads and coil, removed the fuel injectors and had them cleaned, replaced the coolant temp sensor for the ecu, replaced the inlet manifold gasket, replaced the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator (it was split), replaced the vacuum line to the MAP sensor (it was cracked), drained the fuel tank and cleaned it and put fresh fuel in, checked the fuel filter for blockage
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: when the engine is cold and you stab the throttle quickly the engine stumbles badly and chugs black smoke from the exhaust until the engine clears itself, I would like to fix it myself
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: it also has a new idle control valve, that's about it, ive run out of things to try
JA: Our top Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If this model uses a mass air flow sensor at all if this sensor is sending an incorrect air flow signal this will cause this type of fault here and would need replaced or removed and cleaned.I have seen this cause this fault here.

If this is o.k.or is not equipped on this model the fault may be with the engine computer itself with all of these other components being replaced already.I have seen in some cases where the engine computer when cold can cause odd running issues like this here needing replaced to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete