Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a Proton Persona 04/2008 which broke a timing belt.

Customer Question

I have a Proton Persona 04/2008 which broke a timing belt. No damage appears to have been caused but I am confused by the timing gear markings, especially on the crankshaft gear, can you please enlighten me on the correct assembly of the timing belt.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Neal,

Can you post a pic of your timing marks, crank and cams?

What compression pressures did you get, all four please?

Like most twin cams, I think you may have some bent valves, or it could be you are using the wrong timing marks for the cams.

I can't find pics, but I'll see what is wrong in your pics.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, it will take me some time to get the photos and info you need. Will get back to you within 24 hrs.
Neal.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Ok Neal,

I'll await your reply.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm having great difficulty obtaining the information required as the vehicle is out bush and a great distance away. All I need is a diagram of the correct timing settings. There are many timing marks and options on the crankshaft gear and I don't see how a photo is going to provide a solution. You either know or you don't !
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Neal,

Unfortunately for us both, I can't find the diagram either.

I do find it unusual when you say there are many marks.

Your new timing kit came without a diagram I take it?

Is your engine a S4PH?

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is a S4PH engine and no diagram comes with a new belt or timing belt kit here in Australia which is a pity. I managed to find a mechanic who subscribes to Boyces Automotive Data and he was able to print out a diagram for me for $50 so I'm ok now. Thanks for you help even if it wasn't successful, just take out any fee I owe you. Product support for Proton vehicles is very poor here especially where I am in the Northern Territory - regards Neal.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Neal,

Yes I understand your pain about little support from Proton.

I used to work for a Holden dealer a few years back that was also Proton.

I went to Proton school, I liked working on them, pretty simple, and some of their later technology looked promising for the future.

Unfortunately for them, they are still a small manufacturer.

I hope it works out for you.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Gary, I'm disappointed I have been charged $46 for a no show, surely that's not fair. Maybe that's not your fault but I understood a $5 fee to show my sincerity but that's it if my question is not answered - Neal.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Neal,

Unfortunately, I have no control over that.

I'll refer you to Customer Service, and hopefully they will offer a refund of sorts.

Hope you have sorted your engine.

Gary