Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

I have the ignition barrel out of my 2005 BA XR6 and the

Customer Question

Hi. I have the ignition barrel out of my 2005 BA XR6 and the lock/locating pin that is between the barrel and switch has been turned back to the lock position. I can't seem to turn it to accessories position to install the new barrel. I'm just wondering, how I release the pin to turn it?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am, thank you.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: I have tried pushing it in and turning with needle nose pliers, I removed the switch from the rear to see if I could release the lock or whatever is holding it and that's all.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $23 after the Ford Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Howdy!

I have been a master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

So are you around the car right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Try depressing the pin #2 in the diagram below and see it it turns.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/pin.PNG

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have the barrel out. There's a locator for the barrel the runs between the barrel and switch made of alloy. It won't push in and turn so that I can get the switch in the correct position for the barrel to be re fitted. It's part of the steering lock.

sorry for the delay. its a tad bit late here and i had to squeeze one out...lol.

let me take a look at the diagrams i have and will get straight back at ya ok?

Do ya have the switch removed to take a look inside?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch is out. I can see a spring loaded retainer for the lock but pushing it down doesn't seem to work. Most vehicles it would lock in to place when pushing it down but this doesn't and it doesn't work when I push the lock back and turn it at the same time either.

Mate, the biggest issue with these switches is that the casting inside the column is askew and Ford says to replace the whole damn colomn to correct it. I say NOT. My associate and me have used a procedue similiar to the video below to remedy this without having to replace the whole column.

Now mate, keep your sharp hat on because the video goes quickly and i dont want to spin it off, but as you will see once you have the column out and on a good work surface its really straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU8ft63hh24

Now, because im not there to know the history, it may have have an issue that lead up to this point, so after the first video plays, let the second one play. We try to cover all bases in one swoop.

I think this will get you tracking down the right path my friend but if you have any further questions im always here everyday. Im in the USA so we have a bit of time diff ut thats cool with me if its ok with you.

Best~

Larman

Did you have any further questions?

If not. kindly use the stars to rate my service. It is VERY important to me that you do that.

Thanks for asking!

Larry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi larry, how are you? The problem in the first place was the switch had completely come apart. This is fairly common as is the little alloy tag for the return spring breaking. I pulled the barrel out to attempt to access the switch from that side so I could hold the spring loaded parts in with some long needle nose pliers whilst I put the backplate on the switch. When I removed the barrel, I saw there was the steering lock cam/pin that runs between the switch and barrel (this is usually incorporated in the barrel of most cars and the switch would therefore connect directly to the rear of the barrel). I thought I would remove the lock pin, get the switch back together and refit everything, but when I did, the spring loaded steering lock mechanism all protruded (like expected) only when I was pushing it back down, there's nothing to lock it in or hold it in whilst fitting the pin. What I was wondering was if there was a special procedure, for these individual vehicles, to lock it in for reassembly. I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were an American mechanic. You would need to have seen it in person to understand really. I needed someone from Australia who works on these or vehicle specific instructions on the procedure but as you know, Ford replace the entire column instead of any repairs so there aren't instructions I'd assume. I think this might be the reason for not repairing them. I know in future not to remove or turn that pin without the barrel in place and to leave it in the accessories position. I'm in the process of making a tool to get this done. I'm sorry about the confusion, I should have been informed of your location by Justanswer in the beginning. Thank you for your time, have a good weekend.

Hi Greg,

You are correct that Ford replaces the entire column instead of any repairs so there aren't instructions.

Best wishes my friend!