K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I have an Audi A6 4.2 2004 and the aircon is blowing but not

Customer Question

I have an Audi A6 4.2 2004 and the aircon is blowing but not chilling or heating. Aircon technician said it is likely the compressor (they checked a few other things) but need to remove a lot of the engine to get to the compressor to test and replace. What options are there to this rationale?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Audi. The Audi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No - I'd like to be better informed than the mechanic who is fixated on that solution and quoting 10 - 12 hours labour charge. Sounds dodgy to me. I'd def use a professional.
JA: OK! The Audi Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Audi Mechanic should know about your Audi?
Customer: Its still a really nice car!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 9 months ago.

You're wise to get a second opinion. Labor time for the compressor replacement is under 4 hours. I'm assuming they want to test power to the compressor clutch and check the clutch coil. This can only be checked by getting access to the compressor. Their quote is quite absurd. Below is the estimate on replacing the compressor.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Follow ups concerning this are free even after you rate or accept.Thanks!