Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

I have a Toyota lux 4.0L V6 and there is a noise from the

Customer Question

I have a Toyota Hilux 4.0L V6 and there is a noise from the engine bay. Most blogs says it is noisy lifters, which they say is common. Others say it is a leaking exhaust manifold.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it does sound like noisy tappets. I just replaced manifold gaskets and the noise is still there - no improvement. it sounds like loose tappets. when you cruise at 75mph and do not use any power on the engine, it is quiet, only under load
JA: OK got it. Last thing — AU Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

hello

for the noise to only come in under load then its most likely to be an exhaust leak as you've already tried to fix

as a tappet noise will be there all the time , especially when cold

the best way to do this is to start the engine from cold and feel around each joint with your bare hands - feeling for exhaust gas blowing over your fingers - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot.

also check all the spark plugs are in tight as if loose the escaping gas can also make this noise

Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you