Scott
Scott, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 yrs experience with Aussie, Japanese & British cars
29644491

My territory sz mk11 has a blue wire in the trailer plug

Customer Question

My territory sz mk11 has a blue wire in the trailer plug for the trailer brakes. where does it go in the vehicle
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to be able to try and help you we need to know what year your Territory is. Post back with this information and I will see if I can find the wiring diagrams you need to located the wire location.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ron my territory is a 2015 year model, I would have thought that all SZ Mk11 would have the same wiring for such a trivial thing as the trailer connection wiring
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

After looking I am not coming up with the diagram you are needing. I will reopen the post so that others can help if they have what you need.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry to hear that Ron, however if you could send me a schematic , that would solve the problem, as I have had a long history of reading schematics.
Expert:  Scott replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,
It will run from the rear to the engine bay, where it will be connected to an aftermarket brake control module, probably located near the battery. It will be an after market installation, as none of the Territories came with a brake controller ex factory. A few routes are possible, including through the RHS sill.
Can I ask what the issue is that you are chasing? Cheers
Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The issue is I am trying to fit an after market brake controller, I have tried every where to get this info to no avail. I will let you know tomorrow how things go, but so far this is the best I have been able to obtain. Regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The info supplied so far could be helpful if I tackled the engine bay with vigor. Under the circumstances of paying for the info, an exact location or terminal number is ***** essential. The engine bay is very difficult to investigate without tackling the insulation with a box knife, so a bit more info is required.
Thanking you Alan Williams
Expert:  Scott replied 9 months ago.

Hello Alan,
If you're not familiar with the layout of the electrics in the Territory, you are most likely best off leaving the job to an auto electrician.
Having said that - here's the basic guide.
You need supply power. Best for that & least intrusive to the stock electrics is the pos battery terminal. You'll also most likely need a relay in line (depending on controller make). You also need to connect into the brake switch electrics, either from one of the tail light assemblies, or near the brake switch. Best location to find as much is under the drivers side kick panel. If needed, any grounding or neg side connections are best straight to the battery neg terminal.
It's incredibly difficult, & largely beyond the scope of the JA service to advise on equipment installations..
Best of luck!
Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The wiring of the brake controller is very simple, having said that I have worked on the installation of telephone exchanges for over 30 years, so the few wires in an automobile is not very daunting. I will go back to my original question, where does the blue wire from the trailer connector go to in the engine bay. If it goes to a terminal in the fuse box all the better, but I need a terminal point to save me ages in investigating.
Alan Williams
Expert:  Scott replied 9 months ago.

Hi again, Alan,
The blue wire is the feed from the controller back to the trailer brakes, ie it doesn't hook into the vehicle electrics. Logically if it's already present, maybe you are already controller equipped?
Cheers..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If the wire is in the car then its part of the vehicle electrics, logically if it's in the car it (the blue wire) then it must go to a terminal or something in the engine bay(maybe)
Alan Williams
Expert:  Scott replied 9 months ago.

Ok if it's part of a factory trailer electrics loom, it's most likely not hooked up, assuming no trailer brake module is present. It's outside my knowledge as to where Ford have bundled unused wiring thereof & terminated it. As far as I understand, Ford did & do not equip the Territory with a factory brake module. It may mean talking to Ford service directly, or chasing the loom forward in the car to see where it terminates..
Cheers..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The answer to this is it should be shown on the schematic of the vehicle. If not it should be passed on to Ford to answer. I think it is unbelievable that this situation has been allowed to drag on for so long and you can only come up with guesses as to where this wire goes to. I had a similar experience years ago with the 6 water jacket seals in the head of an Australian V8. The end of this i was told there was NO ford part number for them. I purchased them from the local hardware shop, in the plumbing section.
regards ***** *****
Expert:  Scott replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,
usually dealer fitted items are not part of any factory schematic, & how they are fitted often varies between installers. It has been slightly difficult interpreting precisely what you are after to some extent regarding the brake wire..
It should be reasonably easy to chase back the trailer wiring, given that it will be external to the main loom. Of course local knowledge regarding the vehicle helps.
Regards
Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The blue wire is NOT separate to the factory wiring loom, It is part of it. I have only owned this car since November last year. It has only done 8,000km. No one else has touched the vehicle other than Ford service for it's 5,000km service. regards Alan
Expert:  Scott replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,
As mentioned above, it can be quite difficult to resolve an issue if not personally there on site in some cases. I'll opt out at this point & leave you with the advice to run the issue past the dealer from where you bought it, or an auto electrician..
Best of luck,
Scott