Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

I have a 2006 Toyota Land cruiser 4.7v8 petrol/LPG. Engine

Customer Question

Hi - I have a 2006 Toyota Land cruiser 4.7v8 petrol/LPG. Engine light came on,started running rough and fuel consumption increased. Replaced cat converters and sensors, replaced air flow meter, spark plugs and 1 coil. Ran well for awhile, now doing the same and plugs on one side burnt again after 3 months. Replaced spark plugs and swapped new coil to other side. Running well again but suspect it will throw codes again. I keep throwing money at it for a process of elimination but hope you might be able to nail the problem once and for all. Bought it at 130,000 K's, now done 179,000 k's. It has been religiously serviced and maintained since birth according to log book and me as the new owner
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can give me the actual fault code that keep returning I will see if I can help you with this. Post back with a complete list and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ron - test codes thrown were PO300 /PO304/PO308/P0102 and PO113. Air flow meter was renewed at this point but then it threw codes PO300/PO304 and PO308. At this point, have renewed spark plugs again and swapped new coil pack to opposite side and reset codes - am just waiting to see what it throws now. Have explained in my enquiry all the other stuff I have replaced.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay the code P0300 /P0304 and P0308 are misfire codes. Is it still misfiring?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ron - engine light starting to flicker again. Will have codes checked again as soon as I can and will get back to you with the readings - that may be later today or tomorrow. Will advise ASAP
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ron - today the engine light came back on and stayed on. Threw codes 300 random misfire, 302 and 303 pending and 304, 306 and 308 as before. Will run another check tomorrow afternoon and get back to you. In the interim, do you have any thoughts. Am thinking replace all the coils on the bank on one side that is consistently giving the same readings.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

This type of misfire is in most cases either failing coils or bad spark plugs. Let me know the results after you replace the coils but also be sure to have a look at the spark plugs as well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ron - have already replaced the spark plugs for the second time in 3 months. Will check codes again this afternoon and will tell you what codes come up. Then will replace coils and see what happens. Will get back to you after that too.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay Im here if needed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ron - getting coils fitted so will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

No problem. Thank you for the heads up.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ron - put 4 new coils on one bank but engine light is back on. Will put 4 new coils on the other side this week and see what happens. Will get back to you after that.
I cannot rate you yet as we haven't finished with the problem, it's just taking a bit of time as we eliminate things.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

No problem, post back when needed and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ron - all 8 coils replaced. Engine light back on within 20k's. Code thrown was 430. Vehicle going well but still a little rough at idle. Any ideas??
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

If you are sure you now have good spark as well as injector pulse and its still running rough then have you checked to make sure there are no engine vacuum leaks in and around the intake manifold?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ron - yes all checked and OK. Only thought I had was about the variable cam sensor unit - thoughts please? Have replaced just about everything else.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

In most cases if there is a problem with the cam sensors you will get a fault code. When you say your getting a code 430 do you mean you have a P0430?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ron - yes PO430
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

The P0430 indicates a problem with Catalyst Efficiency Below Normal (Bank 1) and in most cases the problem is cause by a failing converter.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ron - both cat converters have been replaced. Did that when problem started in October. As I say have replaced just about everything that is why I was thinking the cam timing sensor is just about the only thing left and thought it may be causing the rough idle. But as you say it should give a reading. Have come this far so will replace it and see what happens. Will get back to you after fitting that cam timing sensor. In the meantime, do you have any other thoughts? Is it possible it is the main computer?