FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I just had my xc60 t5 2014 serviced and the engine now

Customer Question

I just had my xc60 t5 2014 serviced and the engine now appears down on power, down on torque and 'knocks' when you try to accelerate to overtake a slower vehicle or up a steeper hill, it is like it does not want to change down a gear. I suspect the engine problem is not in synch with the auto gear box software so the gear selection is assuming more power / torque available at a given RPM so is not changing down.
It is similar (but now worse) than when we bought the car new and after the first 10k service I had a lot more responsiveness, so I assumed for new cars, when the engine is tight, the software engine mapping as in "protect mode" or something and when the 1st service happened they undid this setting and released full power / torque. But now, after my 20k service we have reverted to the old ways, only seemingy worse.
Does any of this make any sense? And can anybody suggest a solution. The vehicle is still under warranty but the dealer does not believe me!
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Bobby, Thanks for your reply. No, there are no alerts on the dash. Something I did not say in my original post was this is no a diesel engine, it is regular gas / petrol with Turbo. It is very odd, I was doing about 30mph and accelerated to overtake a slow truck and the engine just made the most horrible knocking sound "pinking" I think it is referred to, it just wouldn't change down to a lower gear.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Bobby, Thanks for your reply. No, there are no alerts on the dash. Something I did not say in my original post was this is no a diesel engine, it is regular gas / petrol with Turbo. It is very odd, I was doing about 60kph and accelerated to overtake a slow truck and the engine just made the most horrible knocking sound "pinking" I think it is referred to, it just wouldn't change down to a lower gear.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the response. And this happened right after the service was done?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah, that's right, it was ok until they performed a pressure test on the coolant system (long story, but basically they forgot to top up the coolant at the regular service a couple of weeks ago and when I complained they said there must be a leak (which the pressure test confirmed there was not), anyway, after that as I was driving away form the garage it just didn't sound right but I was under time pressure to be somewhere so didn't go straight back, this was on Friday, a longer drive on Friday night confirmed there was this "problem". I wonder if they could have bumped a sensor or even plugged in a computer and change some engine mode?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.

That is what it sounds like. They may have left something loose. Most of the time it is one of the intake hoses which causes a loss of boost.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks very much Bobby, I just needed something to go back to them with on the phone, when I called them Friday arvo they just said it probably feels different due to tyre rotation... Man alive, I think I need to change service centre!Thanks for your help.
Bye
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.

Any time. If you need anything else please let me know. Please rate when you can also. Thank you.